Wisdom Teeth Extraction Services for a Happy, Healthy Smile
Wisdom teeth are the third molars that erupt late in life, usually between the ages of 17 and 25. Some patients can keep their wisdom teeth if they don’t cause problems. However, if your wisdom teeth cause issues or will likely jeopardize your dental health in the future, Drs. Geomel Brian Bebing and Harun Ayouby recommend removal.
When wisdom teeth removal is necessary, Signature Smiles Dental in Riverside, California, uses special techniques and tools to ensure the procedure is safe and gentle.
Why your wisdom tooth needs removal
Usually, if your wisdom tooth is fully grown and healthy, we will allow you to keep it. Healthy wisdom teeth don’t cause discomfort, are in line with the opposite teeth to maintain your healthy bite, and are accessible with your toothbrush and dental floss.
Unfortunately, most patients aren’t lucky enough to have healthy wisdom teeth. That said, your wisdom tooth needs removal in the following cases:
- Damage to the nearby teeth: Since your permanent teeth are already in place, your wisdom teeth can shift your healthy teeth as they try to erupt. This causes discomfort and bite misalignment. If your wisdom tooth isn’t treated, you may need orthodontic treatments to straighten the affected teeth
- Dental discomfort: Although we spot most wisdom teeth with dental X-rays during routine dental exams, some patients experience dental discomfort (especially when chewing), indicating the presence of wisdom teeth. The only long-lasting remedy for troublesome wisdom teeth is its removal
- Overcrowding: Although your wisdom tooth may have erupted fully, its late arrival may cause overcrowding. Tooth overcrowding may affect your bite and create “tight spots” not accessible by your toothbrush or dental floss
- Impacted wisdom teeth: Like normal teeth, your wisdom teeth erupt through the gums, but this isn’t always the case when little or no space is left. In such cases, your wisdom tooth may remain impacted beneath the gums or grow at an angle, pushing the other teeth. If wisdom tooth impaction isn’t treated, it causes cysts, infection, and oral discomfort
- Damage or decay: Like your normal teeth, wisdom teeth may develop cavities or damage, necessitating extraction
What to expect during wisdom tooth removal
We plan your wisdom tooth removal after a thorough examination using dental X-rays. A simple extraction is sufficient if your wisdom tooth has broken through the gum line. We numb your tooth and pull it out from its socket using forceps and an elevator.
However, impacted wisdom teeth need a surgical extraction. After numbing your gums using local anesthesia, we incise your gums to access the trapped tooth. Next, we break it into fragments, remove each piece, and suture the surgical site to pave the way for healing. Our dental team will also give you post-treatment tips for a smooth recovery.
Wisdom tooth removal services near me
Don’t let a troublesome wisdom tooth compromise your dental health. Instead, call (951) 450-0258 to schedule an appointment with Signature Smiles Dental in Riverside, CA, for wisdom teeth treatment.